Dordt’s Grant Brouwer and Josh De Jong are in fifth and sixth place at the GPAC Championship Heptathlon after day one of the event. The competitors battled in four events and will conclude the competition on Saturday morning with the 55 hurdles, pole vault and 1000 meter run.
Sergio Arcos (Doane) leads the field with 2797 points and Cody Williams of Concordia is in second with 2713. Brouwer is currently 53 points behind Mason Schleis (Mount Marty) and De Jong is 24 points behind Brouwer and 23 in front of Seth Wieblehaus (Mount Marty).
Brouwer ran 7.17 in the 55 meters, jumped 20-1.5 in the long jump, had a 31-3.75 performance in the shot put and cleared 6-6.25 in the high jump for his total.
De Jong ran 6.95 in the 55 meters, long jumped 20-8, threw 32-4.75 in the shot put and cleared 5-11.25 in the high jump.
Standings through four events:
- Sergio Arcos (Doane) 2797
- Cody Williams (Concordia) 2713
- Jeremiah Reeser (Concordia 2572
- Mason Schleis (Mount Marty) 2566
- Grant Brouwer (Dordt) 2513
- Joshua De Jong (Dordt) 2489
- Seth Wiebelhaus (Mount Marty) 2466
- John Krejci (Doane) 2443
- Payton Burtzlaff (Mount Marty) 2364
- Mason Zimmerman (Doane) 2283
- Nate Rupprecht (Dakota Wesleyan) 2195
- AJ Schaefer (Northwestern) 2189
- Mike Pulliam (Doane) 2160
- Zack Gentry (Concordia) 2097
Competition resumes Saturday morning at 9:00 AM with the heptathlon completed 1:00. The field events for day 2 start at 10:00 AM and the running events at 2:00 pm.